Friday, June 18, 2010

"Time waits for no man."

Orbiting with the rest of the crew is splendid, don't get me wrong. A little solitude goes a long way, however, so I'm going to shout this over our public address system and get jettisoned back to Earth for some R&R. The occassional respite in the tower of my secluded nerdery does a soul good.

I don't require much, either. Pipe, television, tea... the fire and the moonlight creating dancing shadows, the summer breeze slipping through the lancets...

Seriously, there really is something to be said for getting away from all the beeping and buzzing of ordinary life. When I'm backpacking, it usually takes me a day to "re-center"; the din of telephones and commutes and value-added synergies gradually gives way to what must be our natural state. Things sound clearer, look sharper, taste better. The plain, boring water I don't drink nearly enough of becomes the sweetest nectar and the most valuable commodity. A bag of buillon worthless, a man's tenacity priceless. It's a mirror, and while I haven't always liked the reflection, the self-reliance, fellowship with the wild and sense of accomplishment are cathartic notches in my belt.  

Voyageurs have always fascinated me. How incredible it must have felt to pack your life into a canoe and float off into the wilderness. No buzzwords, no bull, just a river and some simple songs to accompany the silence along the way. I like that.

"Alouette, gentille aloutette. Alouette, je t'y plumerai." That's French for, "What the @#$% is a 'value-added synergy'?"

Speaking of Voyageurs, "Voyagers!" was one of my favorite shows growing up. It cemented my love for history and I'm still determined to find a working Omni. Lo and behold, ladies and gentlemen, the Internet is like the Library of Alexandria and Sotheby's and Babylon all rolled into one: Look here! If anyone wishes to donate towards this much-needed operational enhancement, please don't. I'll never leave the nerdery.

Didja Know, June Edition: Meeno Peluce, the kid alongside the Brandon Lee-like Jon-Erik Hexum, is Punky Brewster's brother.

Every Gun Is Loaded, June Edition™: Every gun is loaded, always.

Don't look now, but the Amazin's are firing on all cylinders. If you'd told me a few weeks ago they'd be going into the Bronx a half game out of first, I would've thought it crazier than Jerry letting Mejia rot forever in the pen. I'm definitely liking the energy and range of Tejada at second, at it gave me pause last night to see an infield consisting of him, Davis, Wright and Reyes. Wow!

R.A. Dickey is 5-0. Carlos Beltran is getting close. Oliver Perez is not. I like Ike. Angel Pagan has been a revelation. Mike Pelfrey has been an ace. David Wright leads the league in RBIs.  Jerry Seinfeld is reuniting with Keith Hernandez. There's such a positive air about this team right now that if they keep rolling over the Yanks, Tigers and Twins, I'm officially getting my hopes up.

Who am I kidding? It's like George said: "Just remember, Jerry: It's not a lie if you believe it." So, I'll shout it from the top of my tower:

Ya Gotta Believe!!

No comments:

Post a Comment